Netherlands – The Amsterdam Excellence Scholarships (AES) will be launched in 2014 for students from outside Europe who wish to study at University of Amsterdam. The AES is full scholarships covering the tuition fee and living expenses.
Level: Master degree
Study at: University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
Subjects: Law, Economics and Business, Science, Communication, Humanities, Social Science
International applicants: available
Amount: Covers the tuition fee and living expenses
Deadline: 15 January 2014
Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship
In 2014, a new prestigious scholarship programme will be launched, targeting exceptionally talented Master’s students from outside Europe. The AES is a full scholarship of €25,000 (covering tuition and living expenses) for one academic year with the possibility of extension for a second year (for two-year Master’s programmes).
Who is eligible?
Students from any discipline belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class may apply. Selection is on the basis of academic excellence, ambition and relevance for a student’s future career. Scholarship recipients will join extracurricular activities and become part of a select community.
Candidates wishing to apply for an AES scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a non-EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans (Studiefinanciering; for more information please refer to www.DUO.nl). The scholarship office should be notified as soon as possible of any change in nationality, type of residence permit, and/or possible Studiefinanciering support throughout the academic year.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to an English-taught Master’s degree programme at the University of Amsterdam which is registered in the Central Register of Higher Education Programmes (CROHO; for more information refer to: www.DUO.nl).
For more information about general application requirements, please consult the individual programme descriptions at www.uva.nl/education for Master’s study programmes taught in English.
- Be (provisionally) admitted to a Master’s programme at the UvA for the first time. An AES will not be awarded to candidates who are admitted for a second Master’s programme at the UvA.
- Be able to comply with Dutch visa regulations as indicated by the IND (Dutch Immigration Service).
- Be enrolled at the UvA as a full-time student for the academic year and the programme for which the scholarship is awarded. Scholarship continuation is not guaranteed when a candidate changes his or her Master’s programme.
- The candidate should not receive another scholarship for the same period of study as the AES. Notify the scholarships office when another scholarship has been awarded and accepted.
Eligible candidates are selected for a scholarship on the basis of their academic excellence and promise in the proposed field as evidenced by:
- the candidate’s academic record. Students from any discipline belonging to the top 10% of graduates from their class can apply;
- the academic quality of the educational institute where the undergraduate (or graduate) programme has been obtained;
- a letter of recommendation by a dean, teacher or academic supervisor;
- the quality of the letter of motivation (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate explains the reasons for choosing the specific Master’s programme (broader context, relevance for future career);
- a description of extracurricular activities such as participation in student committees, international experience, sports or music at a high level or volunteer work;
- proof of English proficiency (IELS/TOEFL) :TOEFL (internet-based) – overall score of 100 (with a minimum score of 22 in each of the different components), IELTS (academic) – overall score of 7.0 (with a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four components);
- the quality of the application as a whole (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
How to Apply
Students interested in an Amsterdam Excellence Scholarship may contact the faculty or international school offering the study programme of their choice for more information.
- Amsterdam Law School
- Faculty of Economics and Business
- Faculty of Science
- Graduate School of Communication
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Psychology
- Graduate School of Social Sciences
The application process for the 2014-2015 academic year will open in November 2013 and the deadline for applications is 15 January 2014.