Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme (LExS)
For excellent Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme and for excellent students from all nationalities enrolling in a Master of Law Advanced Programme or MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy.
Level: Master degree (MA, MSc and LL.M)
Study at: Leiden University, Netherlands
Subjects: Law, International Relations and Diplomacy
International applicants: available
Amount: Covers the tuition fee
Deadline: 1 October / 1 February (annual)
Leiden University offers scholarships for master degree programmes. The scholarships are open for international applicants each year.
In his or her prior academic education abroad, the applicant must have achieved excellent study results which are relevant for the programme for which the student wishes to enrol. As an indication, the student will be among the top 10% for the relevant programme followed abroad. Scholarships will not be awarded to applicants who have already obtained a Leiden University master’s degree.
The Leiden University Excellence Scholarship programme has 5 awards:
- Platinum Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee* and an allowance of €10,000 for living costs
- Gold Covers the tuition fee minus the home fee*
- Silver Covers 75% of the tuition fee
- Bronze Covers 50% of the tuition fee
- Ivory Covers 25 % of the tuition fee
The number and type of award of the scholarship depends on the budget available for each Faculty department. The type of award has no reflection on the students’ academic level of excellence.
* The tuition fee will be reduced to the amount of the home fee. Students who have been awarded a Platinum or Gold award still have to pay the home fee themselves.
- Non-EU/EEA students enrolling in a Leiden University master’s degree programme starting February 2014 or September 2014 (All MA, MSc and LL.M programmes as mentioned on the website Master’s programmes in Leiden, a number of programmes have a start date in September only).
- All nationalities enrolling in the following programmes starting February 2014 or September 2014 (programmes listed below have a September start date only, with the exception of Adv. Studies in Air & Space Law):
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Air and Space Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in European and International Business Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Tax Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in Public International Law
- Master of Laws: Advanced Studies in International Civil and Commercial Law
- MSc in International Relations and Diplomacy
How to Apply
- Fill in your online application for admission to Leiden University
- Upload all necessary documents:
- Copy of valid passport or European ID card
- Motivation letter
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Copy of TOEFL, IELTS or CPE certificate
- Up to date CV
- Letters of recommendation
- Indicate clearly that you would like to apply for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page
- Upload your letter of motivation for the LExS scholarship on the scholarship page
- Submit your online application
- Pay the application fee
- Upload all necessary documents:
- All LExS applicants will be informed by the scholarship department of Student Educational Affairs
Deadline 1 February 2014 for all programmes starting in September 2014 except Law programmes. (The deadline for the Faculty of Law is to be announced but will not be sooner than 1 February 2014.)
Deadline 1 October 2014 for programmes starting in February 2015.
Selection process: The Faculty selection committee will review the applications. Students are selected on the basis of academic merit.
For further scholarship information visit the official website: http://prospectivestudents.leiden.edu/scholarships/scholarship/lexs.html