Applications are invited from international students for scholarships to undertake a master’s by research or Doctor of Philosophy at The University of Western Australia. There are two major scholarships schemes: International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS) and UWA Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF).
Level: Master and PhD
Study at: The University of Western Australia
Basis of award: Academic Achievement
Study area: All
There are two major scholarships schemes:
- International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS)
- UWA Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF)
These schemes seek to attract top quality international postgraduate students to areas in which the University has specialised research strengths and to support Australia’s research effort.
The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) are funded by the Australian Government through the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research (DIISR) and the Scholarships for International Research Fees (SIRF) are funded by The University of Western Australia.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified international students for scholarships to undertake the degree of Master by Research or Doctor of Philosophy at The University of Western Australia. Application for a scholarship is also an application for admission to the University.
The purpose of the IPRS scheme is to attract top quality international postgraduate students to areas in which the University has specialised research strengths and to support Australia’s research effort. Successful applicants can expect to become members of a research team working under the direction of senior researchers and in an area which has attracted external resources.
These scholarships cover International Tuition Fees for up to four (4) years, as well as Overseas Student Health Cover. Successful applicants will also be awarded a full living allowance scholarship.
The IPRS and SIRF Scholarships are only available to applicants who:
- have completed a four year undergraduate degree at first-class honours level or equivalent
- may be disadvantaged if the Scholarships Committee cannot make a comparison with The University of Western Australia’s standards, particularly in relation to the class of honours achieved, that is first or second class honours
- intend to enrol as a full-time candidate for a master’s degree by research or a PhD degree
- will be commencing their course in the semester following the scholarship round in which they have successfully applied.
English language competence
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5, with speaking and listening no less than 6.0, and with reading and writing no less than 6.5
- paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 580 or above with 4.5 in the Test of Written English
- internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – score of 95 with 22 for reading and listening, 24 for speaking and 23 for writing
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English – C grade
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English – B grade
- UWA CELT Bridging Program – B+ grade or above.
- Entry to a Law higher degree by research requires IELTS of 7.5, Education and Dentistry require an overall IELTS score of 7.0, Entry into a Business higher degree by research requires IELTS of 7.0
International applicants are not eligible for either award if they:
- have already obtained a PhD degree or equivalent
- have already obtained a master’s degree by research and are applying to undertake another master’s by research
- have not provided evidence of their English language proficiency meeting or exceeding the standards here and in the application form.
- are Australian and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.
International applicants who have already begun the degree for which they are seeking an award, are not eligible for an IPRS award unless they can establish that they were unable to apply for an award in the previous calendar year.
Students who have already enrolled are eligible for the SIRF awards.
How to Apply
To apply these scholarships you must register at https://www.grs.uwa.edu.au/iAthena/
Please visit the official website at http://www.scholarships.uwa.edu.au/future-students/postgrad/international