Scholarships for international students wishing to persue a research program at the University of Sidney. The University of Sydney invites candidates who are eligible to undertake a Postgraduate Research Degree or Master’s by Research program at this University to apply for the University of Sydney International Research Scholarship (USydIS).
Study in: University of Sydney, Australia
Fields of study: Students in all fields of study of graduate studies are eligible to apply
Covers: tuition fees and living allowance for up to three years
Deadline: 31 July/15 December, annually
The University of Sydney invites candidates who are eligible to undertake a Postgraduate Research Degree or Master’s by Research program at this University to apply for the University of Sydney International Research Scholarship (USydIS).
The objective of the USydIS is to attract top quality international postgraduate students to undertake research projects which will enhance the University’s research activities. The USydIS is open to all research disciplines; however participation in the USydIS program each semester is at the discretion of the Dean of each faculty. These Scholarships will be awarded to eligible applicants twice a year – in October/November in conjunction with the International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) for commencement in Semester 1 (March), and in early April for commencement in Semester 2 (July).
The USydIS will cover tuition fees and living allowance for up to three years with a possibility of one semester’s extension for PhD students.
To be eligible for an IPRS or USydIS, you must:
- Be an international student commencing full-time enrolment in a higher degree by research (HDR) at the University of Sydney.
- Be a student undertaking study in a subject area identified by the university as within the areas of its research concentration.
- Not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to an Australian research doctorate or, if undertaking a research masters degree, not hold a research qualification regarded to be equivalent to an Australian research masters.
- Not be receiving a scholarship for which course tuition is a component under any other scholarship scheme to which the Australian government makes a substantial contribution.
How to Apply
There are a limited number of these awards available each year and selection is highly competitive. Admission to a course does not guarantee the award of a scholarship. To be considered for these scholarships you MUST:
- Have the equivalent of an Australian first class honours degree (80% or better) or, for doctoral applicants, a masters by research degree.
- Demonstrated capacity to carry out independent research through completion of a previous research thesis, relevant work experience, research publications etc. You must be able to provide evidence of academic research experience in the last five years.
All eligible applicants will be assessed and ranked according to their prior academic performance and demonstrated research potential as per the following process.
To be considered for the award, applications MUST be received by the International Student Office by:
- 31 July of the previous year for Semester 1 (March) commencement
- 15 December of the previous year for Semester 2 (July) commencement
for further information visit the website http://sydney.edu.au/scholarships/prospective/international_postgraduate_scholarships.shtml#usi